The un-campaign
Part 2
by Yvonne Abraham
It is 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday, and by the time Menino arrives, the Curtis Guild
Elementary School, in East Boston, is jammed. Kids, parents, and TV crews are
gathered just inside the school's entrance for Boston's third annual Net Day:
today, 29 more schools will be hooked up with computers and Internet access.
But that's not the best part: more than computers arrive in East Boston. Bill
Cosby is here, too, accompanied by Senator Ted Kennedy.
After a tour, Cosby goes off to film a public service announcement. In a
narrow hallway, a circle of TV cameras closes around Kennedy, and the reporters
seem to be hanging on the senator's every word.
Menino, who became the Education Mayor by publicly staking his reputation on
the schools (and promising one computer for every four children by 2001),
stands just outside the circle, looking a little bored and neglected, but
waiting nonetheless.
"You want me?" he finally asks a Channel 56 cameraman who'd asked him to stick
around and seems to have forgotten him.
"Of course I do," says the cameraman, and the lights go on and the mayor goes
on and it's over in a minute. Then there's a crush, as Kennedy and Cosby head
down the hallway. "Quite a circus," says a reporter.
"Yeah," says the mayor, and rolls his eyes. "And here comes the parade."
Then everybody crowds into the auditorium. Menino is introduced by a
precocious little kid called Sahar Hakim. "When you were this age," the mayor
asks the audience, "could you get up and talk in front of all of these folks? I
know I couldn't." That gets laughs from those who know Menino's reputation for
malapropisms, and he rides it all the way. "Sometimes I still have a problem,"
he ad libs, which provokes loud applause, even from the press box.
Hakim stands beside the mayor as he speaks, waving at her mother, making the
audience laugh. Menino stops and stares at her a long time, till she notices
him and looks sheepish. More laughs.
"Are you trying to upstage me?" Menino asks her. "Hey, Cosby! Here's another
one."
Menino has been pretty laid-back this election season. Not having an opponent
will do that to a candidate. There is a campaign strategy, however: link the
city's successes -- improvements in education, lower crime rates, a good
economy -- with the mayor's administration, and milk it. Though there have been
a few mailings and a TV spot, the mayor has been campaigning by sticking to his
usual schedule of appearances, acting like his own best advertisement.
Indeed, publicly, the mayor seems to be taking only slight notice of the
election. Behind the scenes, it's a little busier. The campaign against no one
still shows expenditures of $524,909 since June 1. And for all the money going
out, even more has been coming in.
The un-campaign was not official until July 29, when the deadline for
opponents to file signatures passed and no one appeared. Unofficially, however,
it began much earlier.
One of Menino's close advisers says he'd known since the end of last year
that there would be no threat to the incumbent. Both major newspapers had been
assuming a second term since the beginning of this year. A February
Herald poll gave Menino a 74 percent favorability rating. His political
consultants did their own poll in the spring and put his approval level at 82
percent. Beth Sickler, who became the mayor's campaign manager this past May,
says that back then, the possibility of an opponent surfacing had been slim.
For more than a year, almost every article about Menino had made a fuss over
his electoral invincibility and his huge, unmatchable war chest -- which, in
turn, drove potential opponents further away.
Menino's money begat money, as donors continued to give even after he
seemed invincible. Of the $765,000 the Menino Committee raised this year, $5400
-- 71 percent -- was collected between June 1 and September 30, when it was
clear that the election was a lock.
And most of that -- $455,000 -- was raised in June, when Menino held one of
his big annual downtown fundraisers, a cocktail party at the World Trade
Center. Some 400 people each paid $125 to attend. They were welcome to donate
more, of course, and many of them did. Although campaign finance chairman Joe
Maher says he and Menino were still worried in June that a rival might come
forward, many of the people who gave to the mayor at that function must have
known the chances of him being opposed -- let alone threatened -- were
minuscule.
Yvonne Abraham can be reached at yabraham[a]phx.com.
Kate Cunningham provided research assistance on this article.