Powered by Google
Home
Listings
Editors' Picks
News
Music
Movies
Food
Life
Arts + Books
Rec Room
Moonsigns
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Personals
Adult Personals
Classifieds
Adult Classifieds
- - - - - - - - - - - -
stuff@night
FNX Radio
Band Guide
MassWeb Printing
- - - - - - - - - - - -
About Us
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Work For Us
Newsletter
RSS Feeds
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Webmaster
Archives



sponsored links
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
PassionShop.com
Sex Toys - Adult  DVDs - Sexy  Lingerie


   
  E-Mail This Article to a Friend

Globe-al Anxiety, continued


Nowhere were the cuts felt more deeply than in the arts department, which was already reeling from the 2004 suicide of assistant arts editor John Ferguson and last year’s unpleasant divorce from dance and art critic Christine Temin, a 22-year veteran staffer and one of the paper’s brand names. Even before the buyouts, there were charges that serious Globe arts coverage had suffered at the hands of an increased focus on pop culture, the proliferation of gossip, and the emphasis on celebrity. That’s a transition the Herald made long ago.

Heller — generally recognized as a Baron favorite who is also very smart and whose interpersonal skills are also not his strength — is resented by those inside and outside the paper who see him as an agent of more low-brow coverage.

"I am concerned," says one local arts leader citing the "kind of cult of celebrity that the Globe has come to.... I am concerned that [given] the seriousness with which our artists do their work" that someone takes it as seriously in the print press.

"I did believe the balance between pop culture and fine-arts coverage was a little bit out of whack," responds Heller, adding that the extra attention given to pop culture did not come "at the expense of the coverage of fine arts."

When the buyouts were finalized in late November, those heading for the exits included rock critic Steve Morse, theater critic Ed Siegel, classical-music critic Richard Dyer, pop-culture columnist and critic Renée Graham, and arts writer Maureen Dezell. (All but Graham — whose knowledge of hip-hop could leave a gaping hole at the paper — have passed the mid-century mark and most were logical targets for the package since it sweetens with seniority.)

"They will be a loss," says Heller. "These are people who were very talented, and they were a big loss to the readership and the paper."

Dyer and Siegel are staying into the spring and both will be replaced, with staffer Louise Kennedy likely becoming the theater critic. Heller says that Temin will be replaced, there will likely be an internal Globe hire essentially for the Dezell slot, and one writer will be hired for the two slots vacated by Morse and Graham.

Like many who took the buyout, Siegel liked the economic benefits, but he also acknowledges a wary workplace vibe. During the 2001 buyout, he says he was reassured his job was safe if he stayed. "This time around nobody was saying that to anybody," he adds. "I think people don’t know what the next incarnation of their career is going to be."

As of today, another distinctive element of the Globe — the stand-alone Life at Home section — is also gone, replaced by a Thursday Style & Arts version of the Living/Arts pages. There, the victims include Life at Home editor Michael Prager, now a copy editor in Business, and Barbara Meltz’s parenting column, although she will continue to cover the subject.

"The emphasis ... will be on style things, fashion, lifestyle, home design," says Baron. "What we’ve created we’ve been quite pleased with."

Perhaps the most internally controversial cutback was the elimination of the National desk, which led to the departure of its editor, Ken Cooper, who unsuccessfully lobbied for Oliphant’s slot on the op-ed page.

"There’s been a lot of attention focused on the National department, but the National department had two reporters," responds Baron. "We have a Washington bureau which is going to be responsible for national coverage, not just in Washington but around the country.... Because of the cost pressures, we had to make a choice.... I think in the final analysis, it turns out to be a reasonable choice."

But Cooper’s departure also raised the thorny issue of race in the newsroom and led to a December meeting between African-American staffers, Baron, and Gilman.

"I think the concern triggered by Ken’s departure is there are only a handful of editors of color. Despite a long-stated commitment on this issue, we appear to be losing ground," says Adrian Walker, who characterized it as a "fruitful and very collegial meeting" that ended with agreement to meet again.

Baron points out that because there were enough buyouts to avert layoffs, the paper was able to preserve more of its racial diversity.

"Since 50 percent of our hires this year have been people of color, we were concerned that if we went to layoffs, we would have a dramatic impact on our diversity because it would have been according to seniority," he says. "That was a concern of mine going into this and I was determined to avoid that."

Still, some view the closing of the National operation itself as a worrisome signal.

"I was disappointed that they have closed the National desk, and eliminated the New York bureau and the roving national-reporter position," says Ben Bradlee Jr., a 25-year Globe veteran and former deputy managing editor who left in 2004. "I think that sends a bad message within the paper and gives reporters less to aspire to. And as for any paper owned by the New York Times, there’ll be pressure to cut back on foreign bureaus. But I hope Marty can hold the line there."

The roster of those taking the buyout — which also included Travel Editor Wendy Fox, feature writer Jack Thomas, op-ed page editor Nick King, editorial writer Susan Trausch, obit writer Tom Long and op-ed columnist Tom Oliphant — reinforces the sense of the erosion of institutional memory and savvy seasoning on Morrissey Boulevard. But a more ominous sign might be the news that Raphael Lewis, a 36-year-old State House reporter who wasn’t eligible for the buyout, is leaving this week to take a job at the Inspector General’s office.

Lewis, perhaps half-jokingly, says his career switch gives him "a chance to have subpoena power with the agencies I’ve been fighting with for years." But it wasn’t all that long ago that it would have been nearly unthinkable for a young, up-and-coming Globe journalist to trade a future at the paper for a job in the bowels of state government.

page 1  page 2  page 3  page 4 

Issue Date: January 13 - 19, 2006
Click here for the Don't Quote Me archive
Back to the News & Features table of contents
  E-Mail This Article to a Friend
 









about the phoenix |  advertising info |  Webmaster |  work for us
Copyright © 2005 Phoenix Media/Communications Group